Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Heartbroken Reply To: Heartbroken

Nic

Hi Jennifer

So sad to hear about what you have written. It’s difficult to know what to suggest without knowing a few more details. For instance, what have you been feeding the hedgehogs?

Unfortunately it is possible that feeding hedgehogs could attract rats, although it seems comparatively infrequent. Sometimes it is feeding birds that initially attracts rats. Do people feed the birds there? Not that I would want to stop anyone feeding the birds, either. But, there are plenty of other things which also attract rats. I hope the hedgehogs are not being used as ‘scapegoats’.

But if you feed the hedgehogs cat food, the rats are less likely to be interested, although that might attract cats. Or are they banned as well?! Although you could set up a cat proof feeding station. Maybe someone could help you with that?

Or (not such an easy option) is it possible for you to watch the hedgehogs whilst they are feeding so that if any rat did happen to appear, you could scare it away? But also make sure any left-overs are very carefully cleared up (and also clear up any food dropped under bird feeders).

I can’t see any reason why feeding hedgehogs should attract big birds. They aren’t normally about at night time, when the hedgehogs are!

It seems so sad to ban someone innocent pleasure which at the same time is helping hedgehogs which are having such a hard time these days. The ideal thing would be to make the whole communal garden wildlife friendly so that the hogs would still visit to find wild food for themselves. That is something which could give much pleasure to all users of the communal garden.

Are there any friendly neighbours who might feed the hedgehogs and perhaps invite you round to watch them sometimes?

Sounds to me as if your Landlord needs to know what a good thing it is feeding hedgehogs and caring for wildlife. Not only for the sake of the wildlife, but also for the mental wellbeing of any people involved, either in the caring for or even just the watching of wildlife. Being amongst nature is a great healer.

Sorry not very much help, but if I think of anything else, I’ll let you know.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Hedgehog