Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Distance needed between hog hibernation boxes Reply To: Distance needed between hog hibernation boxes

Nic

Hi 1peanutbutter

I think it’s more to do with where there are suitable locations to site the boxes, rather than distances apart. Not sure that there is any definitive research about distances, as such. If you have some good quiet, sheltered, shaded places in your garden then I wouldn’t worry too much about whether they are too close together. (although I would avoid making them semi-detached, just in case there is a noisy neighbour!) The hogs might change houses at some stage, anyway, so might find it quite handy if there’s another one nearby.

Just maybe try not to make too much noise around the box which is being used, so as not to disturb the hog in there. Plan before you move, is probably a good idea. Also it’s best to put the houses where you are planning to leave them long term. i.e. don’t move them too often – some hogs need them to become part of the landscape before they use them.

Good luck. Hope some hogs move in to your expanding hog ‘estate’ soon!

Hedgehog