Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK? Reply To: Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK?

Hi Nic. Thanks for the reply. The house is solid wood with a base and a (hinged) felt roof. I’ve just added a magnetic catch to the roof so that it requires a little effort to raise it (cursed with night-roaming cats around here!). The entrance to the house is baffled so only a hog can get in. There was some straw supplied with the house and today I gathered a bunch of early fallen leaves and twigs which I intend to add. I’ll take your tip and just leave them nearby and, hopefully watch Mr or Mrs Wimpey-hog (!) construct their own abode. I’m expecting delivery of a couple of wi-fi cameras in the next few days.
One thing I meant to mention is that I read somewhere there should be a ventilation hole put into one of the walls of the house? My house doesn’t have one, but it would be a simple enough task. Just don’t want to do it in case it’s not really necessary – we get really bitter winters up here (Tyneside).
On the feeding station front, I think I’ll install a second one at the other end of the front garden. I also read that sometimes a hog will ‘pop out’ during the hibernation period to forage. It’s a fair old trek around the house to get to the regular feeding station.

Hedgehog