Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK? Reply To: Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK?

Nic

Hi berniel

Good idea putting a catch on the roof. One of mine is hinged one side and has a wing screw on the other. The other (mainly a feed box) just gets weighed down with bricks – same problem – cats!

I do have ventilation holes in my boxes, but 4 or 5 small ones, rather than one larger. I’m assuming there is a bit of an overlap on the roof, so if you put them near the top, they should be protected from the rain. But hopefully you can put the box where it’s a bit protected from the wind. I’m not sure how essential they are – the nest built here, filled the whole box, so they were probably covered, but I would still have them.

Hogs do sometimes pop out during hibernation, but they, apparently, sometimes even make new nests to move into, so it’s a good idea to leave plenty of nest building material around during the winter as well.

Good luck with the cameras. It is interesting to see what the hogs get up to when we aren’t around.

Hedgehog