Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK? Reply To: Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK?

Hi Nic and Annker

I think it’s a shame there’s not an option to add photos in this forum! My house does have an overlap to the roof at the front, so I’ll take up both suggestions and make a row of ventilation holes underneath the overhang and make one of them big enough for a camera. I’m going to mount another one on a nearby fence so I can observe traffic around it.

Interesting what you say, Annker, about facing direction of the house. I read (again can’t remember where (!)) that it should face south! Ideal for me because the fence and tree where I’m considering putting the house are at the north end of my front garden. It would mean the entrance being open to the garden, but I think I’ll build a little wall in front of it that only a hog can squeeze behind to get into the house.

The bottom of the house has two wooden strips that raise it off the ground, so should be OK vis a vis getting a soaking if (when) it rains.

Hedgehog