Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog hibernating in damp hay – does it matter? Reply To: Hedgehog hibernating in damp hay – does it matter?

Hi Nic & Aggie

I have lurked here for many years and have really enjoyed reading about everybody’s prickly visitors. I am an avid hedgehog watcher and feeder too!

I have been prompted to register in order to support the use of a Hogilo as a feeding station. There is absolutely no difference between lifting a whole Hogilo up and moving a brick/un-clipping a lid off an under-bed storage box. I feed hedgehogs in the middle of my lawn due to an occasional rodent problem (the latter don’t like venturing into the middle of my lawn I find). A Hogilo type feeding station allows me to easily move it to a ‘clean’ piece of grass and furthermore, it means I don’t end up with scorched grass through the usually clear plastic nor yellowed grass. I am always amazed at my visitors’ ability to find the new position straight off – it’s generally only a yard or so.

I watch my hedgehogs off my house security cameras so I get a grandstand view. There were two separate visits last night, a total of 56 minutes was spent inside the feeding station and 2 hours 14 minutes foraging in the garden. It’s a good job I can watch back at 16 times speed.

I have always used this type of feeding station rather than a wooden/plastic box which requires cleaning. If the grass needs cleaning, easily dealt with by a hose/in the dog poop bin. I wouldn’t though use one for a hibernating home as I would be concerned that it was potentially causing a hedgehog to hibernate on a damp surface.

Happy hog watching!
Kippy Ben

Hedgehog