Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog hibernating in damp hay – does it matter? Reply To: Hedgehog hibernating in damp hay – does it matter?

Hi Aggie,
The main thing is that Hedgehogs need separate houses for feeding and hibernating/sleeping/having babies.
You will probably get more than one hog and if it’s hibernating it shouldn’t be disturbed by another hog coming in to feed or by it being lifted to put food in.
There was a post on here about how the temperature is very important for a hibernating hog so lifting the hogalo could be detrimental to the hogs welfare.
Hogs can move nests during hibernation so he might move on.
If he is still hibernating I would not do anything to disturb him and would not put food in there.
When it comes to feeding you will need another house or an underbed storage box. It’s also important to make it cat/fox proof.
Do you have someone that could saw a hole for you in a storage box?
Alternatively I have read NIC has made a food station using plant pots.
I will see if I can find the post.
Keep us posted how you go.

Hedgehog