Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog hibernating in damp hay – does it matter? Reply To: Hedgehog hibernating in damp hay – does it matter?

Apologies Hettihog for causing some confusion. I posted a comment and then tried to edit it after I noticed a minor typo. On re-submitting it, I lost my post in the ether! Further apologies if I end up posting twice.

Here is the gist of my post and it was addressed to Aggie and Nic re a differing opinion on the use of a Hogilo as a feeding station. In my experience, it is just as easy to lift up a whole Hogilo as taking a brick off and unclipping a lid from the rest of a crate in order to gain access to a feeding station.

I use an igloo type feeding station which is placed in the middle of my lawn due to occasional rodent problems – rats tend not to venture too far out onto the lawn. Cleaning is simple, I just move the igloo to another patch of lawn, dog poop bag/a hose down of the grass takes care of any cleaning – rarely required. Also, it always amazes me how a change in location never fazes the hogs. Straight there at a gallop. If I were to use a clear plastic crate, I would most likely end up with scorched or yellowed grass.

I watch my hogs via my house security cameras so I get a grandstand view. Last night there were two separate visits with 56 minutes in total spent in my igloo feeding station and 2 hours 14 minutes spent foraging around the lawn and flower beds. It is a good job that I can watch back at 16 times speed. My hogs’ domestic arrangements must suit.

Conversely, I personally wouldn’t use an igloo as a hibernation home. It is difficult to check for occupation without more intrusive checking unless you have a camera/employ a telltale stick across the door. With no base, I would be concerned about wet patios and damp soil.

Wholeheartedly agree though about not combining both feeding and hibernation activities in the same house.

Happy hog watching everyone. My hogs disappeared on October 19th last year (yes, sad enough to keep records) so fingers crossed that I can enjoy them a bit longer this year.

Kippy Ben

Hedgehog