Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog House Reply To: Hedgehog House

Hi Hettihog, Over the summer we knew we had around 6 hogs, and probably more, but never saw any hoglets during those months. Its easy to think of them as ‘our’ hedgehogs but we know they go into at least two other gardens as I have filmed them climbing through/under the fences. Also, some of them have dark markings which I am sure are put there by people (look like aerosol marks) so there are neighbors that will probably claim ‘ownership’.
For my part I am happy to provide food (daily six 4″ bowls of mainly Hedgehog nibbles with a few Calci worms added), water and accommodation. I am all too aware that they may go elsewhere anytime. Indeed, over the year if there is food left in the stations then I reduce the amount until it all goes and if it all goes I increase it again.
We only moved to this property 3 years ago so this hog thing is fairly new to me. Previously my focus was on the wild birds and always have quite a number of feeders on the go. The Hogs however, are more personal as you start to recognise them and their mannerisms and our review of the 3 cameras footage has become a daily ritual. Its great to have found this forum and read about other peoples adventures with these delightful animals.

Hedgehog