Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog House

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog House

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Hi Hettihog, Over the summer we knew we had around 6 hogs, and probably more, but never saw any hoglets during those months. Its easy to think of them as ‘our’ hedgehogs but we know they go into at least two other gardens as I have filmed them climbing through/under the fences. Also, some of them have dark markings which I am sure are put there by people (look like aerosol marks) so there are neighbors that will probably claim ‘ownership’.
    For my part I am happy to provide food (daily six 4″ bowls of mainly Hedgehog nibbles with a few Calci worms added), water and accommodation. I am all too aware that they may go elsewhere anytime. Indeed, over the year if there is food left in the stations then I reduce the amount until it all goes and if it all goes I increase it again.
    We only moved to this property 3 years ago so this hog thing is fairly new to me. Previously my focus was on the wild birds and always have quite a number of feeders on the go. The Hogs however, are more personal as you start to recognise them and their mannerisms and our review of the 3 cameras footage has become a daily ritual. Its great to have found this forum and read about other peoples adventures with these delightful animals.

Hi,
    I will post here, hopefully no one will get upset.
    I finished my first hog house. It is made from cupboard, nothing fancy, but I couldn’t resist the temptations to see if I’ll have a resident this winter.
    Is it to late to install a hedgehog house?

Nic

Hi SuperBee

Congratulations on your first hog house! Very enterprising. It’s never too late for a hog house. Sometimes hogs even move nests during hibernation. But some may not have build their hibernation nests yet. Don’t be too disheartened if someone doesn’t move straight in. Sometimes they do, and other times they like to get used to the idea of the new scenery.

I would put a small amount of bedding in, to give them the idea – i.e. a handful of leaves (medium size preferred), long grasses, etc., but leave a good supply of suitable material nearby, so that the hog can take it in itself. Hogs are excellent nest builders and are likely to make a better job of it than us. But they do use a huge amount of material so the more of it fairly readily available, the more convenient it will be for the hog.

Good luck. Hope you get a tenant soon.

Thank you, I will do as you advised me with bedding. I’ll come back with photos.

Nic,

We took your advice in regards to weighing the small one that we were seeing on the camera seemingly every other night.
    We went out in the garden the other night and spotted a small one on the decking so we weighed him and he’s just over 200g so we’ve put him in a box and he ate well last night and we are now waiting on advice from a local carer.

Chris

Nic

Hi Chris

Well done rescuing the hoglet. It does sound a bit on the small side. Have you heard any more from the carers, or are they full up and hoping you might look after the little one?

Nic,

So we still have the little hedgehog and she has since gained nearly 200g in weight. We took advice from a local carer and for the time being she is staying with us. She has been to the vet and had de-worming and a couple of ticks removed but is in good health. We still have a couple of hedgehogs visiting the garden, one weighing a massive 1600g and a couple of others between 500g & 600g.

Chris

Nic

Hi Chris

That’s really good news. They do tend to put on weight fairly quickly when they’re small. And the others, outside, are over the recommended minimum weight, so you won’t have to intervene with them because they’re too light.

Normally if an adult hog is a decent size and nicely rounded at the back, I wouldn’t even weigh it. It’s mostly the smaller ones when it isn’t easy so judge whether they are heavy enough. But once you’ve weighed one, if another one looks twice the size, you will have a pretty good idea that it will be an ok weight – again, if it looks nicely rounded. It just saves them that little bit of stress of being caught, even if hogs appear to be pretty stoical and carry on where they left off when released again.

Weight, though, isn’t a guarantee that any given hog will survive hibernation. It’s a dangerous time for them and not all will survive, for various reasons. Even amongst those taken in for over-wintering, not all will survive. It’s sad, but it’s life. With that knowledge, it’s such a joy in the Spring to see old friends returning and then hopefully, later on, the patter of little hoglet feet.

Well done, keep up the good work! I hope the little one continues to thrive. Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog