Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Camera Reply To: Camera

Hi Coley, all the cameras I have I bought back in 2018 and are no longer available. It would be nice to think that newer versions/models would be better quality but I don’t think that’s a given. As mentioned above whether the camera is 12MP or 16MP only matters if you take photos. Most cameras will say they are 1080P HD etc but again I don’t think this applies to night time recordings. Also, the number of LED lights and maximum range such as 20m or 30m is not important as you would not even see a hedgehog at 20m away. While I think my caution regarding 5-star reviews is valid, it is still worth looking at the reviews and weighing them up. One of my cameras is an Apeman which is pretty reasonable and I know other members of this site use them. Interestingly, I bought one of their better cameras (20MP as it happens), and sent it back as it would not record the Time stamp in HD mode. I then bought one of their 12MP cameras whose video is fine and has been pretty reliable.
I think it’s worth buying a cheap mini tripod for these cameras so that your videos are near ground level. I say cheap because if they are used outside 24hrs/day they may eventually corrode.
I guess I am lucky as I spent 45+ years in electronics/IT and computing and hence have a reasonable understanding of anything technology related. I also have photography as a main hobby, but this does not include anything video related. If anyone has enjoyed the videos it’s all down to the main characters and their behaviour, which invariably raises a smile, sometimes a concern and fortunately to date, all has gone well for them.

Hedgehog