Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Big surprise this morning. Reply To: Big surprise this morning.

Nic

I wouldn’t check tonight. It might be easier to move things without harming a potential hog when you can see better. It might be just as well to check, especially if there are hay nets, etc. in case it’s got caught up. But I suppose it’s possible a hog has decided to hibernate there, so you’ll need to be a bit careful. if it’s hibernating it shouldn’t be disturbed. Although not sure whether you meant it was in the outhouse or in the yard. If in the yard, I think I would leave it be. (unless it can get trapped in something) It might have gone in there temporarily and move out when it gets the chance.

I wouldn’t let the dogs near to it. Dogs can cause fatal injuries to hogs if they bite them and also if the hog rolls up, it could injure the dogs mouth.

It’s unlikely a hog will be tempted out by food whilst you are there. Although it might come out for food (dog food, not sausage) but it might take quite a while – in other words when it feels like it – it could take hours. Not like a cat or dog would behave.

Sorry not easy to make suggestions when I don’t really know the layout, contents, etc. but hope that helps a bit.

If someone’s being digging holes for drains, etc. Make sure no hogs have got trapped in any holes in the ground.

Hedgehog