Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Big surprise this morning. Reply To: Big surprise this morning.

Ahh thanks for the reply Nic wasn’t expecting anyone to be up and about at this time to reply so appreciate it!

Yeah it’s an unusual thing for us to have anything mooching and moving around inside the back yard / patio area and inside the old outhouse. The workmen may have done something with a small drainage hole running from our yard underneath the back wall and out again the other side. Not even sure what they’re doing to be honest it’s not United Utilities and they didn’t knock to say what they were even doing.

We’re at the bottom of a private road with sheds, allotments and pens to the side and rear of us. No traffic or street lighting so it’s always been a safe little spot. Land / grazing at the back allow a perfect spot for trotting back and forth in safety. Spent a fair while building bug hotels and a little hedgehog house up at my old paddock and stables.

Husband is an engineer and made covered tunnels with bends that allowed smaller critters to get in and out but not as easily for things like badgers and stoats.

Hogs have always generally liked to hang more where the hens and ducks are kept but still trip along outside my window quite regularly during the summer and set off the security lights. My two collies are well used to hogs and hens and all sorts pottering back and forth it was my old Springer Spaniel who used to find hogs all over the place and started pawing them about cos she couldn’t get near.

The collies don’t bother at all. Comical actually – one night my eldest dog had tripped off to go and poo in private as she does and next thing, her ears pricked in surprise, I shone the torch to reveal her shame and this little hog running along right in front of her almost as if to say “Evening… don’t mind me”

Anyway all I’ve done is very carefully lift out the buckets with hay nets and inside to make sure there’s nothing stuck or likely to get stuck inside.

The rugs, tarp sheeting and buckets I’ve left but put out fresh water, closed the back gate for tonight so nothing is disturbed until I can see better in the morning.

Thanks again!!

Hedgehog