Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Big surprise this morning. Reply To: Big surprise this morning.

After a hectic late summer/autumn with the mothers and respective late hoglets we have come back from a short break and things are much quieter. Having put sticks up at the entrances to the five houses it looks like the two main houses are now quiet and the other three there is some activity. The food stations are only being used a little and the cameras capturing those still out and about show that the hoglets are more interested in water than food. I still put out a couple of handfuls of Calci worms which seem to go but I know that the birds also have a go at these.
On the subject of Calci worms I have been engaged in a number of emails to my supplier (Ivel Valley) to ascertain the composition of their product. They in turn have been onto their supplier and last week I finally got a response, which is:
“Protein 35.8%, Ash 10.6%, Fat 36.9%, Fibre 5.3%, Calcium 3.15%, Phosphorus 0.5%”.
So from the Phosphorus/Calcium perspective they look fine.
Of course being an ex Quality Manager my instinct is to question whether these figures are the truth or fabricated for my benefit, but I obviously don’t have the means to verify one way or another.

I am intrigued as to who is in the igloo house (1) which was home to Mum and 5 hoglets and the subject of most of the posted videos. A couple of weeks ago there was still mum and at least two of the hoglets using that house, so who has moved out I have no idea. I will keep the Trail cameras on over the winter just to check for any activity. With the weather we have been having I almost envy our hedgehog friends as I feel I would like to hibernate and wake up to the Spring sunshine.

Hedgehog