Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Rat issues Reply To: Rat issues

I appreciate there are many animal lovers on this site who do not discriminate between species. Personally, I have no issue with dealing with rats in any way possible. To that effect I put out bait boxes which are located reasonably near to the Hog feeding stations. However, I make sure they are located in such a place that Hogs would not be able to reach them. So for instance I have a pile of roof tiles next to one of the Hogs feeding stations. I then place the bait box on top of the tiles which would be around 20-24″ in height. Rats can easily reach the box but the Hogs do not. I know from checking the box that it has been visited and the rat has not been seen for some time. I am sure they will return at some point but also believe the poison works to keep the number to a minimum. Not everyone’s solution, but for me it works.

Hedgehog