Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Rat issues Reply To: Rat issues

Nic

Hi madfoxlady

Glad to hear that the rat has moved on. I’d be interested to know if the peppermint oil works.

Really good that the hogs are back and eating your offerings.

I’m not sure that putting random items around would deter the rats, but filling in bolt holes helps, I pour water down first just in case a rat is actually in there in the hope that it would come out (although they would be able to dig themselves back out).

As mentioned previously, I’m not keen on rats, but having seen a poor rat half dead from poisoning, I would not wish that on any living thing. And, yes, that particular one ended up in my garden and I have no way of knowing where it was poisoned. I was able to dispose of the body, but, as you say, it could have ended up elsewhere and been eaten by another animal. For some reason people seem to think of rats being in some sort of a different category, as if they couldn’t feel pain and fear.

Hedgehog