Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Three legged hog Reply To: Three legged hog

Hi Mr Lucky
My most recent experience with an injured hedgehog involved him having a back leg amputated at the vet. They kept him until all wounds had healed. Ideally he would have gone to a rescue centre for rehab but due to autumn hoglets there was no room for him. We did a soft release here and put him back into the hedgehog house he used. Within a couple of days he hibernated. He weighed in at over a kilo and happy to say he survived hibernation. He has been eating food we leave but has also ventured out as we have gaps of hours when he goes off. He disappeared for a few days and I must admit I thought the worst but he is back and sharing the HH house with another male HH (who moved in). He doesn’t have the best walk in the world but seems to be getting around well and even have some footage of him giving another HH a bit of a biff.
I am no expert but I would like to think this little fellow is happier in the wild than being enclosed and sometimes we just have to let nature take it’s course.
Let us know how you go with your HH.
All the best

Hedgehog