Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog How to catch a hog? Reply To: How to catch a hog?

Nic

Hi EmmaP

I would have a box/pet carrier ready with either torn up paper which a hog can burrow under or a towel. Don’t forget to have bowls for food and water for the night. They almost inevitably spill the water, so I usually line the container with a good layer of newspaper, which will absorb it if spilt.

You might find that you can sit out with the hogs, near the feeding area, if you stay very quiet. If you have a footstool and can keep your feet up they sometimes don’t seem to notice anyone is there and then you are ready on hand to pick up the required hog. If you do that, wrap up warm, though, as it gets very cold sitting still outside at night. You might be able to pick it up with one hand if it’s a small one, but will probably need two if it’s large. But, yes, gloves are very useful. I’ve had to pick a hog up in an emergency without gloves and their spines are very sharp!

I would take a smaller container out with you to put the hog into at first and have the box/container ready inside to put the hog straight into. (just because it’s less unwieldy, when you’re trying to catch the hog to have a smaller container with you) You could put some torn up paper in that too, but it hopefully won’t be in there for long.

Sometimes some hogs tend to arrive at the same times each night, so you may be able to work out the best time to go out.

It depends on the individual hog – some will run and others will freeze. Just hope the one you want to catch is one that freezes.

Good luck I hope you manage to get the hog to the rescue. Let us know how you get on.

Hedgehog