Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rats! Reply To: Rats!

Nic

Hi Kassie

I sympathise. The birds here are on rations, too, because a rat turned up! Like you, for me the hogs have to take preference. Also I suspect more other people feed the birds than the hogs, so they will be ok.

I also still have youngsters around. These ones don’t like going in boxes so I’ve been spreading the food around. But with no bird food ‘remains’ the rat does tend to turn up later. So, luckily the hogs normally get there first and are quite happy to forage – but if the rat is there it takes it longer to eat and doesn’t eat all the food. Just hope no more rats appear – keep hoping that one will decide to go elsewhere!

Cats likewise seemingly can’t be bothered to eat so much when the food is spread out. Of course the cats are never around when the rat is! Wouldn’t mind so much them eating some of the hogs food if they kept the rat away!

Sounds a good idea moving things around to put the rat off.

Good luck with the hoglets there.

Hedgehog