Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Autumn juvenile – intervene or not? Reply To: Autumn juvenile – intervene or not?

Hi Ladybee53,

If at all possible, catch him and weigh him. 450grams is minimum for hibernation, but the heavier they are the better really. You can also call BHPS (number at bottom of the page) who can hopefully put you in touch with local carers and help you work out a way forward. Not all hedgehogs will hibernate- or may be active on different nights- I saw one last night myself, so if it’s a good weight and you don’t have any other concerns I wouldn’t be too worried, just make sure you are providing plenty of food and water. But if it’s underweight or you notice any potential health concerns please take it in and get advice. Keep us posted on the forum as well please.

Hedgehog