Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rats! Reply To: Rats!

Hi everyone, I’ve just joined as I have one or more hhs visiting and I’m feeding them proper food.

I’m after advise on offering a nest/hibernation box for them as we’ve always had rats living around us in our small town, they visit my little back yard every night…more in a moment, but I read a lot about rat poisons and how they can hurt hhs and our pets – hopefully the following link to the gardeners world website will work:
https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1011047/hedgehogs-and-rat-poison

Apparently, slugs and snails love rat poison but, as they’re invertebrates, it doesn’t hurt them at all. But, if the slugs and snails are eaten by a hog, or one of our pets, the rat poison will kill the hog.

So, poisons are out for me. I believe the rats are eating the food inside the house and the hogs are eating the food outside the house, so I think that’s ok.

I’m just wondering if it’s sensible to change the feeding house from feeding to living? If I’m only feeding rats in the house (never any hog poo found in there now, there was when I first put it out) I might as well change its use to living/nesting/hibernating?

Then, I read above about rats killing hibernating hogs – also, with rats around, if hogs nest there, what are the chances that the rats will kill the babies? How can hogs protect their newborns against rats?

Can anyone help, please?

Thank you! :o)

Hedgehog