Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rats! Reply To: Rats!

Hi GFS, I read your post with interest, and wondered if you know whether brown rats are less aggressive? How likely are brown rats to kill hoglets? Can the parents protect them?

Our rats are brown – there’ve been brown rats everywhere I’ve lived or walked (it’s not me!! :o) ), they’re just everywhere and I consider them as being part of our natural wildlife – I won’t hurt them and they’ve always been quite fascinating to watch. They only become really secretive and untrusting when neighbours have put poison out, the poor things.

I’ve seen hogs eating from the outside dish, when they realise there’s a rat eating inside the “hog” feeding station! The hog was cautious, but didn’t seem overly concerned.

Any advice you can offer regarding brown rats/nesting & hibernating hogs would be gratefully appreciated – thank you.

Hedgehog