Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rats! Reply To: Rats!

Nic

Hi Lindaluvdup

Yes, whoever named those rats has something to answer for! I don’t know much about rats, but if memory serves me right (from school days, so maybe not!), rattus rattus – the black – rat was here first but then rattus norvegicus – the brown rat – came along (on ships) and became more common.

Sorry I don’t have any experience re. lavender – hogs do have a strong sense of smell, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’d mind, or even that all would. It might be a case of trial and error – maybe start with a low strength and gradually increase to see if they object to it. As long as there are other food sources with no lavender, hopefully they wouldn’t be put off visiting at all. But also don’t know whether it reliably keeps rats away. If you do try it, let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

Hedgehog