Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rats! Reply To: Rats!

I’ve been feeding hogs on a regular basis for a good couple of years now, and presume I’ve also been feeding the odd rat. However, it was only for the first time on Sunday, after having a camera set up in the feeding station for the past 4 weeks, that the motion detection was set off by a rat. Persistent little fella (well reasonably sized fella!), whose style was to grab a bit and then head somewhere outside, then back again.

My observation of the rat being inside the feeding station when there was a hog in there was that the hog seemed to tolerate the rat’s presence, although some of the hogs behaviour also suggested that the scent put them off – they would unusually enter the station then immediately leave.

It’s hard to tolerate the sight of a rat eating the feed left for hogs (and birds). All creatures have to eat, but it’s the thought, I guess, of there being multiples, as they are powerful, persistent and determined creatures.

Anyway, ‘humane’ trap set up last night, and there he was this morning.

We both went out for a car drive this morning at 6am.

I know they are at risk in the countryside unless they can make a livable territory for themselves, and I kinda felt sad this evening when I wondered how he would be coping. But then, such endearments are harder when they are in your own back yard!

Hedgehog