Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rats! Reply To: Rats!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Nic, I really appreciate it and will let you know about the oils – when the need arises I’ll try lavender oil and peppermint oil.

I’ve not tried either oil, yet. Since my neighbour has been poisoning the rats, there seem to be few around or they’ve gone into hiding.
Thankfully, “my” hedgie(s) are still turning up as I believe they can’t get into that garden. I’ve not mentioned hedgehog highways to any of my neighbours for this reason – I think they’re all poisoning some poor creature or other.

Dubi, I feel for you and understand your sadness. If it helps, I found my hedgie usually eats from the outside dish (I see and hear him) and the rats seem to eat from the dish in the feeding station, although they don’t empty that dish. So, I’m happy to feed the rats inside just so long as my hedgie gets the lion’s share outside. I pop one out with an upside down plant pot saucer over it, that the hedgie can snuffle his nose under – I’m sure rats are also bright enough, but I’m told cats won’t work it out….not sure if any of this is actually true, though! :o) Best of luck.

Hedgehog