Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog hedgehog highway query Reply To: hedgehog highway query

Nic

Hi chrispee

6m does sound quite long, although I’ve never heard of anyone trying. It’s great that you are doing your best to make provision for the hogs. I imagine the 13cm gap would be better, if possible, but also make as many hog holes as you can, so the hogs can find a way through the neighbouring area as well – especially as during building works they may not be able to get through even if you did leave a gap.

Also, make sure any holes for foundations, etc. have some sort of a way out at night in case a hog falls in by mistake. But also check the holes fairly frequently. I recall, years ago hearing about a family of hogs who were found in a fence post hole which had been left for a couple of days, who ended up with hypothermia.

Good luck with the extension. Let us know how you and the hogs get on.

Hedgehog