Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hibernation??? Reply To: Hibernation???

Magpies are so sneaky! My magpies used to try that but they didn’t get much of a chance once a seagull would swop down to take over.

I made a plastic box that I use as a feeder (with tube at the entrance) it took about a month for te hedgehogs to get used to it. I would scatter a bit in the tube or in front of the box.

I’m glad a kept trying with the box as the cats/magpies/fox/ don’t get it and it slows the wood mice down.

I’d love to leave food scattered around but in my garden it doesn’t really work. Funny thing now…if I ever do leave a dish of food outside the feeder so that I can watch from the kitchen they walk straight past it and head ino the feeder.

I think if I was in your situation I’d use a small amount in your feeder. Might be tempted to leave a bit of food outside the feeder but would probably do that in a weeks time. (To put the magpies off)

This is just a thought though. Every garden is so different good luck 🙂

Hedgehog