Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Just had a hedgehog on the garden feeding 06/01/23 Reply To: Just had a hedgehog on the garden feeding 06/01/23

Nic

Hi monkeydarling

Just to add to what scoobysue said. If the hog is very small, it would be worth weighing it. If it weighs less than 450g at this time of year it would be worth contacting your local hog carer/rehabilitator and take their advice.

Not sure if you meant the small hog was there during daylight, but if so, again, I would take advice from a carer/rehabilitator.

The much bigger hog should hopefully be ok (assuming it also is a good weight). Some hogs decide not to hibernate and that is ok as long as they have access to food (cat/dog/meaty hog food or cat/kitten biscuits) and water. Water is very important all day every day as hogs can’t always access it naturally. I agree re. the chicken bones not being good, especially if it is cooked – the bones can splinter easily.

Good luck. I hope both hogs do well.

Hedgehog