Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Just had a hedgehog on the garden feeding 06/01/23 Reply To: Just had a hedgehog on the garden feeding 06/01/23

Nic

Hi Penfold-JC

Welcome to the Forum!

Well done for rescuing the little one and glad to hear it is doing so well. It’s really good that you took advice from your local hog rescue. Hopefully, thanks to your help, the little hog will go on to have a successful life.

Yes, it’s interesting that the hogs who aren’t hibernating still visit on the really cold nights. I had a non-hibernator here on another winter where there were some very cold nights – as low as -12 one night, as I recall. The little hog continued to visit all winter and only missed a couple of nights when the snow was a bit deep.

He had made what seemed to be a hibernating nest in one of the hog boxes, but didn’t even spend every day in there, but did seem to use it for naps between snacks. Sadly the nest was eventually taken over by a rat, who died in it – although nice for it that it found a nice warm place to curl up and die. But I was able to lift the nest out of the box whole – it didn’t fall apart at all. Very well made for a hoglet who I imagine had never made a nest before – so clever!

Good luck with all the hogs. I hope they continue to do well.

Hedgehog