Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Is this a hedgehog track? Reply To: Is this a hedgehog track?

Nic

Hi hogwild99

It sounds as if it could be a hedgehog track, but potentially could also be i.e. a rat. You really need to either see/video it or get some footprints.

There is some useful information in this post: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-hedgehogs/ If you don’t want to invest in a camera, you could maybe try a footprint tunnel which you can find out more about by clicking on the ‘Hedgehog footprints’ link in that post.

If the track is visible from your house, you could try leaving an outside light on and looking out of a darkened room with binoculars. But poo left around can be a good sign. If a hog has been eating a lot of cat food, the poos tend to look a bit paler than the one shown.

Good luck – hope you do have hedgehogs! Just in case you do, it’a a good idea to leave water available for hedgehogs all day every day. Shallow but wide plant saucers are ideal for that. Let us know how you get on.

Hedgehog