Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Wild garden for wildlife Reply To: Wild garden for wildlife

Nic

Hi Mike Dhu

Glad you found the information useful.

If you are scattering wild flower seed, it’s best to do it where the grass is really short and even scarified. Although you may have better luck in an area where there is bare earth. I have a small meadow type area of wildflowers and grass where there had previously been mown grass and it was really difficult to get the wildflowers going just from seed – I resorted to planting some small wild flower plants in pots (and digging up some of the coarser grass) in the end to help it get going – but wished I had started from bare earth. But also some wild flower seed needs to be frosted to help it germinate, so later in the year would probably be better, in general – maybe when the wild flowers are shedding their seed or Autumn or Winter.

Good luck. I hope all goes well and you start to get compliments instead of complaints!

Hedgehog