Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Wild garden for wildlife

Home Forums Champions’ chat Wild garden for wildlife

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi all, new here so I’m not sure if this is the right place to post.

I found some hedgehogs in my garden last year, it looks like they’ve made a home here this year so i’ve let the garden grow wild. Bonus is i also get a lot more butterflies, bees and even some pretty birds probably lookin for insects.

The downside is the council has had a complaint about my garden. I have tried to explain that hedgehogs are living in the garden (or at least using it as a refuge) but they’re insisting the garden needs to be cut down. I know hedgehogs have some legal protection so any advice before i’m forced to cut the garden and force them out of their sanctuary?

legal advice or ideas on rehoming them would be appreciated ty

Nic

Hi MikeDhu

Welcome to the Forum! Yes, this is the right place to post.

Good news that you have hedgehogs visiting.

It’s a bit of a misconception that wildlife friendly gardens have to be just left to grow wild. The best wildlife gardens are managed for certain features, i.e. wood piles, ponds, etc. But there can be reasonably tidy areas around the features. So you could have areas of long grass and wild flowers with paths around and through them.

I would be inclined to try to do some judicious mowing leaving blocks of longer grass/wild flowers so that it actually looks as if it is cared for. Not knowing the circumstances – i.e. do the council own the land, are there by-laws, is it a front garden, does it look messy, is there a lot of rubbish or places which could attract rats, is it an urban or rural area, etc. I’m not sure whether your Council would accept blocks of longer grass surrounded by mown paths, but maybe a rational conversation with them, together with proof that you’ve made an effort may be useful.

Is it possible that the Council could enforce the clearing by doing it themselves and charge you for it? If so, it seems to me that is something that you would want to avoid, as I suspect you would do any clearing more considerately – from the point of view of any hedgehogs present.

If you are going to cut the grass at all, please check the longer grass very carefully just before doing any work. Hedgehogs can get horrendous injuries from strimmers and mowers which cause a lot of pain and suffering and are often fatal One way to minimise the risk of injuring a hedgehog is to, initially, cut the grass to about a foot high so that you would be able to see if any hedgehogs were present before cutting lower. If you found a hedgehog, you could put it safely in a box for a short time until the work is completed. If you find a nest, avoid cutting that area so as not to disturb the nest.

I would try to make your garden more wildlife friendly in a more organised way. There are some tips:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/

If you introduce some more variety into your wildlife garden, you may find that you get even more wildlife. Hedgehogs, for instance also like to have areas of short grass where they can forage for earthworms, etc. Likewise various species of birds.

You mention the idea of relocating the hedgehogs. That would be a bad idea. Hedgehogs have fairly large ranges and can travel up to 2 miles a night, so they would visit other gardens as well as your own and become very familiar with their ‘patch’. Releasing them into locations which they are not familiar with is not recommended – it could cause them to be completely disoriented and the stress caused to them could make them more susceptibule to infections. They could also potentially introduce infections into a new area where the existing hedgehogs may have lower resistance.

I would try to see this situation as an opportunity to make your garden even more wildlife friendly, in way which the Council (and others) may not object to.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Nic

p.s. You might also find this link interesting:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/wildlife

Nic

hi nic, sorry for the very late reply, i’ll have a look at the links tyvm.

the garden is privately owned by me and there’s no rubbish but i will cut down some of the grass in the centre of the garden, taking care as you said, and leave the sides about a foot high.

i was actually just about to chuck a load of wildflower seeds all over but with the current hot weather i’ll wait a while 🙂

thanks for your advice, good job some people care about hedgehogs and wildlife in general!

the rhs link was very useful, and the gardening link as well. ty again

Nic

Hi Mike Dhu

Glad you found the information useful.

If you are scattering wild flower seed, it’s best to do it where the grass is really short and even scarified. Although you may have better luck in an area where there is bare earth. I have a small meadow type area of wildflowers and grass where there had previously been mown grass and it was really difficult to get the wildflowers going just from seed – I resorted to planting some small wild flower plants in pots (and digging up some of the coarser grass) in the end to help it get going – but wished I had started from bare earth. But also some wild flower seed needs to be frosted to help it germinate, so later in the year would probably be better, in general – maybe when the wild flowers are shedding their seed or Autumn or Winter.

Good luck. I hope all goes well and you start to get compliments instead of complaints!

hi, I leave blocks of my lawns unmown (they were not great lawns anyway) as I find they do look a bit ‘tidier’ and cared for if I keep the edges mown or strimmed. Along with the wildflower patch sown 3 years ago, this makes a colourful and more wildlife friendly garden, while still looking quite cared-for.

maybe try google search along the lines of ‘ garden signs – gardening for wildlife’. My random search came up with lots of wee signs to put in your garden to show that you are gardening for wildlife. Might help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog