Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Has my Hedgehog given birth? Reply To: Has my Hedgehog given birth?

Nic

Hi Steph55

Yes, female hogs do tend to make their nests near to the time of giving birth. But there is usually a fair amount of nest building activity, often early in the morning. Although, males will take small amounts of material into nest boxes which they sleep in too. So it depends how much nesting activity you were seeing.

Sorry, I could only surmise as to why a hog would be going in and out of a house like that. Sadly not all hoglets born make it out into the world (it is one of the most difficult times of a hog’s life), but fingers crossed, if there were indeed hoglets in the hog house, you will be seeing them now. Hoglets are big enough for foraging trips with Mother hog at 3 or 4 weeks old, so if there were hoglets they should be venturing out by now. It’s a few days since your post – maybe you’ve seen something since?

Let us know if there are any developments. Good luck.

Hedgehog