Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Has my Hedgehog given birth?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Has my Hedgehog given birth?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi – the week of 3rd July this year I caught my Hedgehog gathering leaves and building a nest in the Hedgehog house in our garden. Very exciting! I understand that they make their nests quite close to giving birth – is that correct? I leave my night camera out to track activity and have noticed, over the last few nights, my Hedgehog going in and out of the house every few minutes, for about 40 mins, which is quite unusual. Do you think she is feeding young? I haven’t seen any Hoglets on the camera though and wasn’t sure if they should be out by now? Thanks

Nic

Hi Steph55

Yes, female hogs do tend to make their nests near to the time of giving birth. But there is usually a fair amount of nest building activity, often early in the morning. Although, males will take small amounts of material into nest boxes which they sleep in too. So it depends how much nesting activity you were seeing.

Sorry, I could only surmise as to why a hog would be going in and out of a house like that. Sadly not all hoglets born make it out into the world (it is one of the most difficult times of a hog’s life), but fingers crossed, if there were indeed hoglets in the hog house, you will be seeing them now. Hoglets are big enough for foraging trips with Mother hog at 3 or 4 weeks old, so if there were hoglets they should be venturing out by now. It’s a few days since your post – maybe you’ve seen something since?

Let us know if there are any developments. Good luck.

Thanks for the response Nic. Unfortunately I haven’t seen any hoglets or even the hedgehog – they have not made an appearance around the hog house at all over the last week since my post! Maybe it was a male just building up a nest for sleeping as you suggest.

I’m sure they’ll be back and maybe I’ll just have wait until next year for some hoglets to appear!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog