Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Lots of hogs last year – now no sightings Reply To: Lots of hogs last year – now no sightings

Hi jimfoz

Yes i have had the same experience, had hogs here last 4-5 years, last year actually have photo of 8 feeding together (not incuding 3 new hoglets).

One long term 3-legged resident ‘Hop-a-long’ had been out to feed every night since Xmas!!! but very sadly had to be put to sleep 2 weeks ago when i found him on his side breathing heavily after eating, he was very poorly.

Since losing Hop-a-long, there have been no visiting hogs, the food i kept putting out sometimes remained and other times gone but fox/cats?. I couldnt work it out, why would all of them disappear?

Two nights ago – I saw a hedgehog, eating in same old place, – i was surprised quite how happy it made me. Tonight 3 hogs, big ones, eating and hanging around, loud snuffling and possibly ‘flirting’ behaviour.

Dont give up hope, i dont understand why they were absent so long, after so many years, of course more research and info would have helped maybe., anyone recomendations?

One good thing resulting from losing Hop-a-long, our garden is now on the list for releasing autumn juveniles/recovered hogs from my local vet.

Hedgehog