Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs galore Reply To: Hedgehogs galore

Nic

Hi James

Good to hear about the hogs there – although not sure I would be quite so happy about the rats! I normally feed the hogs here outside. I think they probably prefer it – lots of escape routes – most boxes only have one. Just be aware, though, that although it might be unusual, foxes have been known to kill hogs, so it is possible they are safer inside a fox proof box whilst they are feeding? Having said that, they have their own minds, so won’t necessarily do what we decide is best!

If you are interested in identifying hogs naturally. I wrote some tips for someone else recently which you might also find helpful. https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/tolerant-hedgies/
I know what you mean about some of them getting muddy. I have one particular visitor who seems to be very good at looking thoroughly scruffy. She is a very pretty hedgehog otherwise! But, in the long term, it isn’t a reliable means of identification. Neither are mannerisms. I have one visitor who digs through her food and circles round the bowl, and for a long time she was the only one who did that. Now I am beginning to notice one or two of the other girls beginning to do something similar. I suspect they might be her daughters, so might have picked up the habit from her. They do quite often share a bowl. I find that the girls and especially the youngsters are very happy to share bowls quite harmoniously. The bigger boys are less tolerant – of other boys.

So pleased you are enjoying seeing the hogs. As you say, even if you don’t recognise individuals, it is just a delight to see hedgehogs. Happy watching.

Hedgehog