Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Green Jelly Poo! Reply To: Green Jelly Poo!

Nic

Hi Willowtree

There seems to have been quite a lot of talk about poo, on the Forum lately, so I wouldn’t worry about it!

There can be reasons for green poo, other than parasite overload – such as stress, and intestinal infection (as you suggested). My feeling is that it is best to check that there really is a heavy burden of worms before treating and that treatment should be left to someone with appropriate expertise and experience. There is already a problem with resistance of parasites to some treatments and quantities have to be very carefully worked out for hogs, so that they are not over-dosed, etc.

I think some of the males, in particular, may have started hibernating already. There was some conversation on here last year (unfortunately on the pre-updated forum, so I can’t access it to check) about pre- and post- hibernation gut evacuation. In the original post the poos were described as like green slime and looking a bit like seaweed and the person had read about them in an article, but couldn’t remember the source. Unfortunately, I can’t remember whether we found any evidence about this, but do seem to remember another description as being that it was dark green. Apparently some reptiles do similar gut evacuation.

Perhaps someone else will remember better than me and whether we were able to verify it and, if so, the source.

Hedgehog