Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Green Jelly Poo!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Green Jelly Poo!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

(Sorry for the graphic title!)
    I have a number of hedgehogs visiting the feed stations, bowls are cleaned with boiling water each morning and feed stations lifted for the day. Noticed for the past few days green, slimy, jelly poo – not the nice normal hog poo that I’ve come to recognise (and clean off the garden and patio each day…)
    Question – is this an indication of parasite overload? general gut infection? Is there anything I can do to help? Or is this gut-prepping for hibernation, given that the nights have suddenly turned much colder.
    Had a little google and found reference to ground pumpkin seed to help clear gut parasites. Any thing else I could try? Thank you!

Nic

Hi Willowtree

There seems to have been quite a lot of talk about poo, on the Forum lately, so I wouldn’t worry about it!

There can be reasons for green poo, other than parasite overload – such as stress, and intestinal infection (as you suggested). My feeling is that it is best to check that there really is a heavy burden of worms before treating and that treatment should be left to someone with appropriate expertise and experience. There is already a problem with resistance of parasites to some treatments and quantities have to be very carefully worked out for hogs, so that they are not over-dosed, etc.

I think some of the males, in particular, may have started hibernating already. There was some conversation on here last year (unfortunately on the pre-updated forum, so I can’t access it to check) about pre- and post- hibernation gut evacuation. In the original post the poos were described as like green slime and looking a bit like seaweed and the person had read about them in an article, but couldn’t remember the source. Unfortunately, I can’t remember whether we found any evidence about this, but do seem to remember another description as being that it was dark green. Apparently some reptiles do similar gut evacuation.

Perhaps someone else will remember better than me and whether we were able to verify it and, if so, the source.

Hi Nic, thank you!
    I hadn’t read the previous ‘poo posts’ , just had a little fret about them all and jumped on here with a question! Still the same number visiting – little hoglet I posted about last week is more determined and spending longer in the feed box – plus I put ramps up the steps so access would be easier for small legs (am lucky to have a tolerant other half!) One of the hoggies still has an upset tum, but impossible to tell which one? I’m going to keep on as I am and just see, there’s lots of freshly water freely available and plenty of food, so fingers crossed the pumpkin seed helps!

Could anyone give me ideas as to the possible reasons why? Roughly since the beginning of July the numerous hedgehogs that were feeding regularly throughout my garden ,seem to have all disappeared. We had plenty of hoglets that were born here so lots of activity earlier on in the year.
    I am still putting food out everyday , but they all seem to have left. Nothing whatsoever has changed in my garden , so cannot fathom why they would all move out ?
    Is this normal progression & possibly as the temperature changes they will return?

Hello Willowtree

I would strongly advise you to catch your greenpoo hog. If it’s young then it’s almost certainly a problem. If you cannot work out which it is then catch all and contact your nearest carer. They will be able to check individually and treat accordingly.

Nic

Hi Willowtree

Have just realised that my first sentence in my previous post could have been misconstrued. I was meaning don’t worry about ‘sorry for the graphic title’ bit, rather than the hog who had done the green poo, who, even if it hasn’t got worms could have an infection.

Nic

Hi Romany333

Sorry to hear that all the hogs there have disappeared. Several people have said something similar, but it must be very sad for you.

There are lots of possible reasons why they might stop visiting, such as, someone else is feeding them, their route there has been blocked for some reason, a badger has moved into the area, etc. and you may never know the real reason.

It is impossible to know whether or not they will re-appear next year, but as it is getting near to most of the hogs hibernating, they may not be back this year. Fingers crossed that some of them return at some stage and sorry I can’t be of more help.

Thank you Nic for your comments.
    I haven’t seen any changes within the area etc, but fingers crossed they will decide to come & hibernate in the hog house over the winter.
    It it sad that i haven’t seen any for a few weeks now, especially when there were so many in the beginning & lots of hoglets too!
    Just hope they are all ok & are plumping themselves up ready for winter.

A number of my rescues have come in with green poo. There are a number of reasons as to why this happens.
    1. Change in diet – Fish content in dog/cat food dried or wet can cause upset.
    2. Stress.
    3. Bacterial Infection which needs to be treated with antibiotics (Baytril) by the vets or rescue.
    4. If the stools are dark green and loose this is bile and could well be fluke which is a parasite, once in the bile duct this is fatal, aggressive treatment of antibiotics and wormer is required by vet or rescue.
    Hyperactivity in the hog is also another sign that they have fluke.
    5. Hard green stools is a sign the hogs have purged their bowls for hibernation and is perfectly healthy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog