Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog House Reply To: Hedgehog House

Nic

Hi Annig and Jack

It can’t do any harm to have an extra box, Annig. Even during hibernation hogs appaently sometimes change nests, so it will give them extra choice. Hope the hogs appreciate it!

Like Jack, my boxes have only been used for snoozes – between snacks (possibly due to their location quite near the feeding area), but still useful, especially in the spring and later autumn when the hogs seem to value them for that purpose. Glad to hear, Jack, they have made a move to make a nest in one of yours. Not normally advisable to clean a hog house out when it is occupied, but in the circumstances, as you suggest, maybe necessary. Good luck with the hog – hope it stays using the box.

Re. the mealworms. It is unfortunate that PTES have used that particular photo. Probably, because it was a good picture of the hog(?) They are aware of the mealworm problem. Please see:
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/i-feed-hedgehogs-mealworms/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ7Y3a4vgqU
is another link, with a video telling you about metabolic bone disease. The start of it is a bit distressing, but it is worth persevering so that you understand what it is all about.

Hoglets are particularly at risk, being both, the most likely to become addicted and needing calcium for their growing bones.

Maybe try a different type of hog food? Or alternatively cat food or cat/kitten biscuits? Try sprinkling a few mealworms on top of (or mixed in with) some other food to start with (to get them interested), and you may find that they eat some of it as well – then gradually reduce the mealworms. I feel it is important that what we feed has as good nutritional value as we can make it, even if it is only for a short time each night. Your wild area sounds brilliant, but numbers of beetles, etc. do tend to drop off as it gets colder so the hogs rely more on what we put out.

Good luck. I hope you manage to persuade them to eat something other than mealworms.

Hedgehog