Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our Hoggy family is growing every week! Reply To: Our Hoggy family is growing every week!

Nic

Hi Pam

I’m not an expert on nutrition (or anything in particular!), which is why I tend to stick to the current thinking on what is ok for the hogs to eat – cat/dog/hedgehog food.

I do admire your dedication, but it sounds a lot of work, for what probably isn’t as nutritious as cat/dog/hedgehog food. (Cat food, etc. has added vitimins, minerals, etc. to make it more of an all round food). My concern would be the hogs may be filling themselves up with plain chicken at the expense of something better (although it is a source of protein). It depends on the proportions of plain chicken to other food. I would be inclined to offer the hogs less of chicken and more of cat/dog/hedgehog food.

The hogs might still get a bit of food from the wild, but that will have been reducing as the year has gone on, so you wouldn’t want to be reducing their total intake at this time of year. Especially with the hoglets there.

If they like the jelly from the chicken, have you tried the chicken cat food in jelly?

Hope you are enjoying the hoglets. The two ‘regulars’ here, (now quite big) are very funny – quarrelling with each other one minute and then eating nose to nose in perfect harmony the next!

Hedgehog