Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Our Hoggy family is growing every week!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our Hoggy family is growing every week!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

At around 01.30am, whilst I was at work, I received a text from Hog watch (partner on garden duty, as I have to work, to supply the Hogs their midnight nibbles) to say we have a baby hog. I phoned home demanding that he wake up any child & take a photo on their phone, so as I could view this amazing news. Having gone to tell my other work colleagues, that I’m now a proud Hog mama, I then was told there’s TWO hoglets. Well I was all ready to drive straight home to witness this for my self, I’m sure the home manager would understand, this is an “emergency ” Nearly every night for the last 2/3 months I’ve sat outside, until gone midnight, come rain or shine, waiting for my spikey friends to visit. The one night a week I’m at work, I missed it all!!!!
    So now need to work more hours to purchase an upgrade on “partner” & get my self a recording device, so as I can spend my night duty doing “Hog watch”

Not seen mine since August

That’s great. I now have a hoglet visiting together with 2 adults. Only seen the baby this weekend & he/she has a huge appetite. I have cctv so when I know they are outside I sneak out for a viewing.
    Hope yours come back Sammy.

Congrats on the juvenile hedgehogs. My tally has now gone up to four. I was even wandering if I would get any this year. Putting out extra rations so they have a hearty feed each night. Have four cameras out keeping watch. One by the front door, one up on the small garden, and two in the large garden. Guess I got all bases covered. Is great to see them. I still have the occasional adult come in, but not every night.

Willpar.

Nic

Hi Mrs. Tiggy Winky

Really pleased for you that you have hoglets there now. It is always the way – them choosing to turn up the very time you aren’t there to see them!

As they are late hoglets and the Mum has also had extra demands on her so close to hibernation time, it is really important that you feed them good nutritious food. i.e. meat-based wet dog or cat food, hedgehog food or cat biscuits (NOT mealworms, sunflower hearts or peanuts). This will help to give them a better chance to grow big enough to survive hibernation.

Good luck to hog Mum and the little hoglets and happy watching.

Hi Nic, we’ve been given our Hoggys, proper Hedgehog food, tried cat food, many sorts, they r not over keen on that, what they devour is “sloppy chicken” We buy a fresh chicken, cook it in a bag, nothing added, then chop it up for them. The juice goes jelly like. They absolutely love it. I only want to do what’s best for them, would you advice we carry on, or should we take “sloppy chicken” off the menu!!!!
    I look forward to your thoughts on this!
    Mrs Tiggy Winky (Pam)

Nic

Hi Pam

I’m not an expert on nutrition (or anything in particular!), which is why I tend to stick to the current thinking on what is ok for the hogs to eat – cat/dog/hedgehog food.

I do admire your dedication, but it sounds a lot of work, for what probably isn’t as nutritious as cat/dog/hedgehog food. (Cat food, etc. has added vitimins, minerals, etc. to make it more of an all round food). My concern would be the hogs may be filling themselves up with plain chicken at the expense of something better (although it is a source of protein). It depends on the proportions of plain chicken to other food. I would be inclined to offer the hogs less of chicken and more of cat/dog/hedgehog food.

The hogs might still get a bit of food from the wild, but that will have been reducing as the year has gone on, so you wouldn’t want to be reducing their total intake at this time of year. Especially with the hoglets there.

If they like the jelly from the chicken, have you tried the chicken cat food in jelly?

Hope you are enjoying the hoglets. The two ‘regulars’ here, (now quite big) are very funny – quarrelling with each other one minute and then eating nose to nose in perfect harmony the next!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog