Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog Home Reply To: Hedgehog Home

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.
We have actually seen one follow the other out of the house which actually looks quite comical as they have to use a little ramp to get out. From information I’ve read it seems they could be youngsters and I’ve been advised to weigh them to make sure they are an acceptable weight to survive hibernation. This was a delicate operation as I’d never handled a hedgehog before. I think I was more scared than the little hog as it carried on into the feeding station we have also made and tucked in to it’s dinner. We have supplied 3 feeding stations and 2 water bowls. The hedgehog food is being taken nightly and they are scoffing like mad. The weight was ok and I presume they’re stocking up for winter.
I must admit I am I bit nervous about their hibernation but will just have to hope all goes well. I’ll miss seeing them daily as they don’t seem worried if
I come across them down the garden in an evening.
Is it a good idea to put some food out in case they wake up for some reason during hibernation? Or is that a foolish thing to do?

Hedgehog