Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Home

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog Home

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

In August I placed a new homemade Hog House down the bottom of my garden underneath shrubs next to my shed. I knew hedgehogs were already visiting my garden as I’d started placing food out for them in 2 feeding stations which was been eaten daily. I consider myself really fortunate as the house is definitely being used – I’ve recorded it on a wildlife camera. What confuses me is that I have 3 Hogs visiting and they all seem to be using the same box to nest in during the day. This seems to go against everything I’ve read so far. I’m relatively new to Hedgehog habits and this is my first time on this forum so i hope someone can shed some light on what could be happening?

Nic

Hi TyburyDuck

Smart looking hog house and looks a good size too. It is possible that you have three youngsters using your box. They will sometimes share. A lot of the more mature hogs have gone to hibernate by now, so they could be youngsters. But I do wonder if it is possible you may not be seeing them coming out on the camera. I know my boxes have on occasion been used by several different hogs on one night, for naps in between moving on. Sometimes more than one (youngster) at a time. Not sure how your camera works, but with mine, I have found hogs are very clever at doing things between clips. I am often watching in ‘real time’ as well and find that what I have seen isn’t always on the cam. They can be surprisingly nippy when they want to be. Having said that, I sometimes think they like to keep us guessing!

It’s lovely that hogs have been using your box after you went to the trouble of making it. I hope they all have a safe hibernation.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.
    We have actually seen one follow the other out of the house which actually looks quite comical as they have to use a little ramp to get out. From information I’ve read it seems they could be youngsters and I’ve been advised to weigh them to make sure they are an acceptable weight to survive hibernation. This was a delicate operation as I’d never handled a hedgehog before. I think I was more scared than the little hog as it carried on into the feeding station we have also made and tucked in to it’s dinner. We have supplied 3 feeding stations and 2 water bowls. The hedgehog food is being taken nightly and they are scoffing like mad. The weight was ok and I presume they’re stocking up for winter.
    I must admit I am I bit nervous about their hibernation but will just have to hope all goes well. I’ll miss seeing them daily as they don’t seem worried if
    I come across them down the garden in an evening.
    Is it a good idea to put some food out in case they wake up for some reason during hibernation? Or is that a foolish thing to do?

Nic

Hi Tybury duck

Seeing one hog is magic, but there is something extra endearing seeing two or more youngsters together. I can just picture the two little ones bumbling down the ramp!

It isn’t always easy catching the little ones and some of them can be little wrigglers – trying to escape off the scales, etc. It sounds as if the ones here are slightly more wary than those there. They usually scarper when released (although do come back later). I don’t mind, because I feel they are probably safer to have a healthy wariness of humans, who are predators, after all. I usually watch them from inside the house, so they don’t know I’m there and have minimal interaction, only catching and weighing them if absolutely necessary.

Yes, hibernation is a worrying time, but all we can do is hope that they come back again in the Spring. It is almost inevitable that not all of them will. I usually name the hogs here, but tend to wait until the Spring to name the youngsters, for fear they won’t all be back. Also, their facial features do evolve a bit when they grow up. It is strange not having them around in the winter, but makes it all the more exciting when the first one returns in the Spring. Then it is a case of waiting to see some of the old familiar faces.

Sounds like the hogs there are well catered for with three feeding stations! I don’t think it is foolish leaving some food out in the winter at all. Apparently they do often come out of hibernation for short periods of time, and sometimes move, or even make new nests. They may well appreciate some food and especially water if they do.

Hi Nic

Thanks for the info.
    Still feeding but expecting that to stop any day now.
    Will leave something out for them over winter in case they wake up.
    Roll on Spring when our visitors hopefully return.
    Take care.
    πŸ‘πŸ˜

Hi TyburyDuck,

I am pleased to read your post because I have had a similar experience. I put a new Hog House out a couple of weeks ago, along with Hog-Cam (the best birthday present ever!), and was delighted to see a Hog moving in immediately (within hours!).
    We called our Hog Rudi; then last week Hog-Cam revealed that Rudi has a friend! The first footage did not show whether they were sharing the Hog House, but did show them sharing their food very politely and getting on fine together. Then at the weekend it became apparent that they are sharing the Hog House! I was very surprised because I too read that they are solitary animals, but Rudi and Judy (we assumed the second was female because it is smaller, but from Nic’s post it could just be a young Hog) seem to be best friends.
    I was also wondering whether to continue leaving food out – I think I will; as Nic said they may move once or twice during hibernation. For the time being, the Hogs still seem quite active and are certainly coming out for their dinner and a wander every night πŸ™‚
    Happy Hog-watching!

Hi Hevver,
    Having only just got really interested in our little visitors activity, I’m constantly on the lookout for them. They are still taking their food but not all of it is being eaten like before so I presume they must be ready for hibernation. I’m a bit concerned this hasn’t happened yet but seeing as it’s 12 degrees this morning I’m not surprised they’re confused.
    I actually saw one first thing this morning in the entrance to the Hog House. It went very still and I started panicking. I ran into the house for my phone to call my husband but by the time I’d got back down the garden it had gone back in it’s nest and I could hear it getting nestled in the leaves inside. I am convinced I will end up a nervous wreak!
    I will miss them when they do eventually go into hibernation but at least my nerves may get a rest until spring. Mind you, then I’ll be worrying if they’ve all survived the winter!! 😁😁
    Take care.πŸ‘

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog