Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog in morning Reply To: Hog in morning

Nic

Hi hogspot1

Yes, I would definitely put food and water out again, because it is unlikely there is much food to be found ‘in the wild’ at this time of year. Make sure it is good quality food and especially not mealworms.

Are you sure it is the same hog that was visiting before? Hoglets of various sizes often turn up at this time of year – after all the adults have disappeared, so it is a good idea to keep putting food out after you think all the hogs have hibernated.

Personally, I wouldn’t be too worried about 7a.m as it is really only barely light here and I have just been watching a hog on the cam carrying leaves into a nest until just after 7. If you see them around later than that it might be more of a worry and if it was very small.

The hoglets need to reach 450g to survive hibernation, so if it looks very small it might be worth weighing it. If you are going to weigh it, it is useful to have a high sided box, or pet carrier, ready to put it in, if it is underweight, with newspaper torn into strips (or something similar) for it to hide in. Remember to provide food and water if it needs to stay overnight. You should be able to get the number of someone local who might over-winter it, if necessary, or for advice about whether it needs ‘rescuing’ (in relation to your local weather conditions, etc.), from the BHPS 01584 890801.

Hedgehog