Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Two minutes Swedish TV of maximum 6 hogs daytime feeding Reply To: Two minutes Swedish TV of maximum 6 hogs daytime feeding

Nic

Hi Jens
We have had some fairly mild spells interspersed with colder ones. I don’t record the temperature, but recall one night it was forecast to be minus 6 degrees C. We are in the countryside so it may have been a bit colder than that. Not as cold as you get there, I imagine, but I wouldn’t want to be out all night in it! The little hog doesn’t seem to mind at all. She has a nice cosy nest which she made in one of the boxes and her food in another box a couple of metres away. She often seems to disappear into her nest box for about 2 hours and then is seen going back into the feeding box. But, she does explore further afield as I often see her ‘trotting’ away from the feeding area on the video and I think she must have another nest elsewhere.

Thank you for telling us what your friend was saying on the TV. Even without understanding the words it came over that she loves the hedgehogs. Just a thought – it might be a good idea to encourage her to cut out the pancakes. Their natural diet is high in protein and pancakes would be high in carbohydrates, which could lead to over weight hedgehogs if they have too many. They will eat all sorts of things which are not necessarily good for them. Dog/cat food or good quality hedgehog food is best. Even cheese may be too high in fat. Just make sure she doesn’t switch to mealworms – I expect you have read about the dangers of those on the forum.

I imagine she must get a lot of droppings to sweep up with all those hedgehogs there at once! I have a feeling that other hedgehogs being around encourages them to produce more droppings. Maybe stress, or maybe there is some sort of message in the scent. I don’t know.

I think hibernation is bit of a worrying time for all who love hedgehogs. There is no guarantee that even an apparently healthy hedgehog will make it through. (Even the little one who is not hibernating is a worry – trying to make sure there is food available for her without another animal eating it.) We just have to hope they keep safe, and it is such a delight when our little friends return in the Spring.

Hedgehog