Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Cat eating food Reply To: Cat eating food

Hi Nic
All good info thanks.
Re the trap. I have fed the garden birds for over 30 years in this house on a fairly industrial scale! The rewards are a garden full of movement and visits by over 30 species over the years with regular Nuthatches , woodpeckers, all the finches and most of the tit family, ducks, pheasants, partridges, kestrels, sparrow hawks (you get the picture). I started keeping a few (3 ) chickens a few years ago as do a number of near neighbours. (The chickens have all gone now)
I’d never seen a rat in all the time I’ve lived in the property but one day a notice from the local authority was pushed through the door advising that a report of rats had been submitted. I understand the notice went to everyone but I took action and bought a number of galvanised bins for all the various feeds. Thankfully we heard no more and so presumably the rat problem was dealt with at another address.
However when I saw that I had a rat hole on my property (I caught it on camera) I was fearful that I could be forced to stop feeding not only the hogs but the birds as well. I took the view that being able to continue helping the hundreds of birds and many local hogs thrive would be worth the risk that a hog or other creature had an uncomfortable night.
As it happens the trap did the trick without any problem and even the rat got to live another day! Win win

Hedgehog