Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Mutant Rampaging Hedgehogs! Reply To: Mutant Rampaging Hedgehogs!

Nic

Oh dear, Penny, that is bad timing on Brenda’s part. I hope she is ok. Here, it is usually the males that come back first, which makes me wonder if she might have come out of hibernation because she hasn’t got quite enough fat. Or maybe it is just a break and she will re-hibernate again. Either way, just as well that there was some good food ready and waiting for her. Last year the boys started returning at the beginning of March. With the forecast as it is, I hope they put it off a bit this year.

The water has been freezing, here, inside the feed box, but I just hope that it doesn’t freeze until near daylight so that hoglet gets the chance to have a drink. Turns out, now he has grown a bit, that he is a boy! After I have been calling him ‘she’ most of the winter. I was just hoping he was a she because he is almost certainly Digger’s and the females are more likely to hang around.

Sorry to hear about Sven’s possible demise. Numbers of blackbirds here have grown and there seem to be a few ‘brave’ ones, so that I’m not sure which is which – apart from Herbert, who has white on his neck. Beautiful birds, sparrowhawks, but very sad if they take a bird you have got to know well. The mice, here, haven’t been seen for weeks now – not surprising when there are at least 5 different cats visiting. So far the cats haven’t managed to get past the brick in the new feed box, despite numerous attempts.

I hope you aren’t totally worn out delivering posters! I have noticed that if BHPS put a cute picture of a hog on Twitter with some good wording, the numbers signing goes up rapidly, but if the cute picture falls lower down the Twitter, it drops significantly. Only 23 all day, one day about a week ago. Latest calculation, it needs an average of 907 EVERY day, including today, if the 100,000 is to be reached in time! Let’s hope when a few more return to the forum that they will get the message, although I suspect that some of the 47,000 + might be duplicates after the update.

Good luck to all the hardy hogs who are up and about during the next few days. Maybe the Express were partially right (for a few days at least)! Although, meteorologically speaking, it is supposed to be Spring from 1st March!

Hedgehog