Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog NEW BHPS PETITION AGAINST A24 TRAP, PLEASE SIGN! Reply To: NEW BHPS PETITION AGAINST A24 TRAP, PLEASE SIGN!

Best not to get me started about new developments!

Until about 4 years ago we rarely saw a hedgehog. Then one late summer evening we saw 2 searching for food underneath the bird feeder. That’s when we started feeding them (though I hold my hands up and confess that at that time I did give them mealworms. I haven’t done that for 3 years now). Anyway, the number of hogs began to increase and the reason became obvious – the building of around 600 dwellings about 1/2 mile away on what was 2 open fields. The building work is almost complete now and we thought that over time maybe the hogs would go back that way to what is now gardens but that doesn’t seem to be happening. It’s not difficult to see why – front gardens that are no more than hardstandings for cars and back gardens that are decked/patio-ed over and barricaded-up with concrete gravelboards at the bottom of fences and scarcely a hog-sized hole to be seen anywhere.

We’re lucky to see so many hogs when many don’t get to see even one but, sadly, it’s only because they’ve been pushed out of their homes and off their foraging grounds by people.

Hedgehog