Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

2 hogs spotted together

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 2 hogs spotted together

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I’ve had a regular hog nesting in the hog box and venturing out since early February. (It could have been around earlier than this but I hadn’t noticed). I’ve been putting regular food and water out and each night my trail cam has picked it up.
    2 nights ago my camera picked up 2 hogs together. The smaller one was circling the larger. Neither made a noise or rolled into a ball. Just curious to know what type of behaviour this is? I’ve seen posts about males rolling a submissive male around. Could it be similar? They moved out of camera range after a few seconds so no idea what happened after that.

Nic

Hi Kerry

If one hog was circling the other and the one being circled was turning around inside the circle, making a rhythmical huffing sound, it was a male circling a female. (although you said no sound, which is strange). It’s still quite early, but if there are males and females around, is likely to happen. It’s part of their, kind of, courtship. The circling can, at times, go on for hours.

It isn’t always easy to say just from a short description. It could just have been one hog checking out another for some reason.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog