Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Nic

Hi Annie

That’s awful! It must all have been very worrying for you. I hope hubby is on the mend now and you also.

Glad you’ve had a hog visiting to cheer you up. It’s good to hear there are some really big ones left!

It all sounds crazy re. the glue traps. Who ever invented such a cruel thing in the first place – and so indiscriminate. Well done you for campaigning against them.

All the best to you and hubby healthwise. I hope the rest of 2024 goes better for you both than the first bit.

Hi Nic

We’ve been waiting for a callback from 111 today as he needs some advice that won’t be forthcoming from the GP, hopefully it’ll happen soon so I can get to a chemist if there’s something he can have to help him. All very frightening.

It’s a glorious day, the roof of the hedgehog feeder is elevated to dry out & evict any slugs hanging around & business as usual is happening out there every night. Too tired to watch for the giant one at the moment but the camera will be employed again as soon as I’m up to anything like that.

Hope your garden gets the visitors you deserve, I started a new thread the other day so see you there hopefully.

Nic

Hi Annie

Hope you got the information you needed. Sending positive thoughts.

Hi Nic

Crisis was averted, thank you for the kind words.

Nic

So pleased. What a relief for you.

Hi nic, could you please help me with some answers? I have a hedgehog feeding station out 24/7, one hedgehog visited for two weeks straight last year, I have upgraded food and shelter facilities in my front garden which is their only access point from the street (I live about 600 meters from a country park for context) is it likely that they visit seasonally and one should turn up again? The only one I’ve had visited in April 2023, Thanks! 🙂

Nic

Hi Roccoryan2008

It’s a bit of a how long is a piece of string question! Hedgehogs pretty much have minds of their own and will do what they want. Having said that the upgrade could potentially put some hedgehogs off until they get used to the new arrangements. Also access only from the street doesn’t sound the most inviting (although, of course, I have no idea what the street is like, how busy, etc.). You don’t mention whether you have a night camera, so not sure whether no hedgehogs have been around at all or just that none have eaten the food.

re. visiting seasonally – it is only really in relation to the hibernation season.

Sudden absence of hedgehogs could be down to i.e. badgers, blocked routes to your garden further back, someone else has started feeding, etc.

Assuming that there aren’t badgers around, I would keep leaving out food and water and hope that a hedgehog turns up. There seem quite a few out of hiberntion now.

Good luck!

Hi nic, in reply to your response, I do have a camera (which caught only one hedgehog for one month last year)
    But other than then I’ve had absolutely zero hedgehog visits. And street wise, I live on a quiet u shaped street and there are no dangerous roads that hedgehogs will need to cross, we have an abundance of front gardens and parked cars which I’m assuming could provide some shelter on the journey to my garden, I do know of a badger sett in the park. But we do have an abundance of hedgehogs in the area. And lastly the only access points they have to garfens is front gardens, through alleyways, and gaps under gates because my area doesn’t actually have any holes/ direct garden to garden access, as always thanks for your help nic it’s appreciated!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog